But I finally decided on a quick, inexpensive way to decorate and display it in our new place.
First, I sanded down the surface to get rid of all the stickiness left from the price tag and labels
And covered it with a few coats of acrylic white paint.
After the white paint dried, I used blue painters tape to create vertical stripes and covered the exposed surface with silvery grey paint.
Once that dried I carefully peeled off the painters tape
And used the corner of my sponge brush to fix any areas where the paint bled under the tape.
Then it was time to decorate! For our wedding I made some cute flower accents out of craft foam and buttons. We used them on our guest book recipe box and card box.
We still have the recipe box filled with everyone’s wedding wishes, but the card box was a bit large to just keep on a shelf. So I popped the flowers off before throwing the box out and have been hanging on to them ever since. We’re planning on using the same shade of orange as an accent color in our living room, so the flowers will fit in nicely with all of our other décor…that we plan to get...
Anywho here’s the finally project:
I cut out some leaf shapes from green and white felt and stuck the whole thing on with a hot glue gun. I’m not really thrilled with the shade of green on the leaves, but it was the best I could find at Joann’s. I might replace it later on, but for now I’m just happy to finally have something finished and on display!
Here it is hanging on the inside of our front door:
At first I had it hanging from an orange ribbon, but it just didn’t look quite right, so I took the ribbon off and used the curve of the S to hang it onto the hook instead.
Yay! My first completed DIY decoration! Not bad for about five bucks and a couple hours of work!