Way back when I first saw my grandma’s old desk and wanted to refurbish it, I knew I wanted to make some sort of tiles out of comic books to go along the border. I’ve had this idea and the supplies for a while now, but just recently got to creating them.
Here’s the general idea of what I'm going for [only obviously continued on all sides].
They didn't turn out quite like I had imagined, but I still think they look pretty cool. Here’s how I did it:
- Comic Books
- Thick Cardboard
- ModPodge or a Good Glue Stick
- Black Sharpie
- Clear Contact Paper
Before I started anything I measured my desk and calculated the dimensions and number of tiles I would need for each side. [If you’re not using the tiles for anything specific, then you wont need to measure anything and you can move right on to step 1.]
I only need to cover the front and one side of the desk because there is a dresser that will be going right next to the desk once it’s finished.
You’ll also need a good supply of comic books that you don’t mind cutting up.
Okay, lets get started!
Step 1: I created stencils for the tiles. I used a notecard for mine, but I would highly recommend using something much sturdier if you’re going to try this out.
I wanted my tiles to have a small black border, so I made sure to include that in my stencils so I could see what it would look like before cutting.
Step 2: I chose the pictures I wanted and traced the border around them then carefully cut them out.
I used painters tape to keep my stencil form moving as I traced the border.
And here they all are!
Since my borders were kind of flimsy [and to be honest I kind of did a crap job of cutting them out] my tracings ended up being a little wonky so I had to re-measure them before I cut them out. If I hadn’t wanted to see what my tiles would look like with the borders beforehand I probably would have done this from the start.
Here’s a helpful hint when measuring: I used a transparent quilting ruler [Christmas present from my MIL] and marked the dimensions with a dry erase marker.
This way you can easily line up and mark your dimensions on the paper by being able to see the image underneath.
Oh! And check out this ad I found in one of my comics.
A Doctor Who Convention! Neat.
Anyway, back to the tutorial…
Step 3: I cut out the backing for the tiles. I originally wanted to use something thicker, but it was too hard to cut out and the tiles looked uneven and sloppy so I switched to a piece of cardboard.
They still didn’t end up being as nice and even as I wanted, but at that point I just decided to shrug it off and make do with what I had.
Step 4: Using a black Sharpie, I colored a border around the cardboard and along the edges.
[The borders don’t need to be perfect, because once the picture is glued on you’ll only see a small amount of it anyway.]
Step 5: I glued the comic cut out onto the center of the cardboard making sure to leave a small border.
Step 6: I could have left them like this, but I wanted to protect them from scratches, spills, and kitty claws so I covered the whole thing with clear contact paper.
And there it is! This is a fairly simple project but sooo time consuming. I went through the whole first season of NY Ink and half a season of Doctor Who and that was just cutting out the comics and cardboard. So make sure you have a good amount of free time on your hands if you decide to attempt this project. And if you do make something similar send the pictures! I’d love to see what you all come up with!